TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:31:57 -0400
Dave,
You probably need to have a heart-to-heart with Doug Pauls, Brian Ellis,
Laura Turbini, John Sohn or others.  But here is my little bit.

Definitely find time to look into it, but it ain't cheap.  You will need a
good chamber (>$15K) and measurement equipment (>$10K) and test coupons ($
depends on source, your relationship to said vendor, type of coupon,
quantity, etc.)  That being said, SIR is cheaper than having stuff crap out
in the field.

I would not call it an alternative to ionic cleanliness, but the next leap
up.  Ionic cleanliness only gives you one number and you don't know what
part is due to nasties like chloride and what part is due to weak organic
acids.  So, no, there is not a broad correlation between SIR readings and
ug/sq. cm.

And, yes, if I were a medical implant customer I would always be concerned
about conductive contaminants!

With SIR you can test under different temperature and humidity conditions,
for different lengths of time, different voltage differences, different
spacings, you can test with or without solder mask, you can test different
pad finishes, and you can test without or without components placed over the
test patterns.  You can test bare boards from the supplier, fluxes, solder
pastes, cored wires, SMT adhesives, tapes, labels, temporary solder masks,
lubricants, thread lockers, other adhesives, cleaners, flux inhibitors (used
where you don't want flux to go), cleaning processes, the effect of
different reflow profiles on residue chemistries, dramatically illustrate
poor handling techniques and so on. The testing is usually automated, so you
can get a lot of numbers (more numbers, more equipment, more $ though),
although, depending on the test, you are looking at 24 hours to 1000 hours
of testing.

That's a partial answer to your last question.

regards,
Bev Christian
Materials Lab Manager
Research in Motion