TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
"Kelly M. Schriver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:00:01 -0500
Hi Rich -

I've encountered this type damage several times over the years.  It has
generally traced to one of the following:

- Board was slid into a card cage and came in contact with a solid
obstruction, such as cage frame, another board, power supply shield;

- Board slid into card cage, hitting another board - determined both boards
were warped to design limit for that particular unit;

- Adjacent board with tall parts slide into card cage, damaging subject
board;

- Board was slid carelessly on a rough surface (presumably by a gorilla
named "Notme");

- Board was in a unit dropped from approximately cockpit height (from
gorilla A to gorilla B, who failed to catch it).  Unit cover bashed open and
cards hit concrete when unit took its second bounce off the aerostand.

I have never encountered this condition as a part of shipping damage with
adequately packed cards or units.

So far as the amount of force required to rip the parts off goes: consider
that the board material specs set some minimum peel strength values for the
foil on the boards.  Your laminate material probably has a T-peel value
(minimum) of around 6-8 pounds per linear inch of width.  This ought to let
you come up with a rough approximation of the force required to create the
damage (generally not a huge number).

Regards - Kelly