TECHNET Archives

April 2001

From:
Shawn Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:03:26 -0700
Alex,
The spacing of BGA balls after reflow will vary significantly this will be
due to how the balls collapse and the co planarity of the BGA site.  Another
words some joints may form columns if there are co planarity issues and on
the flip side some of the balls will collapse more than desired due to co
planarity.  Minimum spacing is very difficult to gauge because of this.
Generally BGA's are not used in high voltage aplications (as far as I know)
so....  If the ball are not shorted together than you have done your job.
There should be no problems with different potentials jumping around Good
luck.

Best regards,

Shawn  C. Murphy
Process Engineer