TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:26:44 +1000
Hello Michael,
It would be a good idea to talk to your intended fabricator, they are
usually only too helpful.
It is often best to let them set up the panel for you. In fact, the only
time I personally define any board arrays is when I want to define a
particular assembly pallett. For single boards I leave it up to them.
Of course you may want to know how many you can expect from a panel. Bear in
mind that if you order the exact number of boards that you calculate can fit
on a panel, then there is no room for error or any failed boards.
I use a manufacturer here that will produce prototype panels, of as many
boards as will fit. I have an idea of how many boards I will get back, but
take into account that I may be occasionally one or two short due to
fabrication problems.

A standard size our manufacturers use for single / double sided is 18" x
12". I believe that some can handle 18" x 24".

They usually prefer to leave 0.3" between boards, forming a web, that way
the panel stays together and maintains its  tooling datums as it is routed.
If you really want to jam a lot of boards on a panel, specify V-scoring.
(you get a rough edge though)

Usually, about 1" around the edge is unuseable.

regards,

Phil.

Phil Dutton C.I.D.
Senior CAD Technician