TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:13:05 -0500
Bruce/Josep,

It as been a few years since the situation arose.  It was related to the
development of a new high temperature, power bybrid concept.  We found quite
vividly that 10 mil aluminum wires on copper in a non-oxidizing environment
(hermetic = nitrogen inside) degraded significantly after only a few hundred
hours of aging, whereas the 'control', baked in air, actually got better.  I
forget the actual mechanism, but the results made sense at the time.  I know
that on the surface, it does seem counter-intuitive, but that is the way it
worked out.

We ended up with the new packaging concept + plus conventional nickel & gold
flash platings, and all was (very) well.

That is about all I can say on the subject.