TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:11:05 +0300
Phil

Yet another example of rule-making without a scientific risk assessment.
I believe that actual 25 ppm rule has been in force only since last
April, so it is too early to see whether the "31 cancer deaths" do not
occur. OK, I agree that 500 ppm was far too high and I don't necessarily
disagree with 25 ppm, although I believe 50 ppm would have been more
judicious and much easier to respect. Yet once again, this kind of
rule-making will hit the the SMEs much harder than large companies as
low-emission equipment is inordinately expensive compared with what has
been used in the past.

Brian