TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Mike Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:01:12 -0800
I could use some thoughts from those of you involved on the assembly side.
We have a customer who appears to have solderability issues with a
particular board we have built.  We have supplied this product over the last
several months using three different surface finishes; white tin, HASL and
ENIG.  His issue is the same regardless of the surface finish.  His first
side produces acceptable solderability however the second side exhibits
non-wetting and partial wetting.  I have one of the ENIG boards after
assembly and it shows absolute absence of solder on multiple areas of the
secondary side, while adjacent areas are excellent.  I have little specific
information regarding assembly, except as follows:

Screen solderpaste on backside
Inspect
Pick and place components
IR reflow
Aqueous clean
Screen topside with solderpaste
Inspect
Pick & place components
IR reflow
Aqueous clean.

I'm told the customer bakes his boards prior to paste screening, however, I
have no profile specifics etc.

The product in question has no unusual attributes.  It's an .062 ten layer
board, no thru-hole, SMT two sides, s single BGA and QFP and the typical
other passives.  Process sequence is typical SMOBC with no via plugging etc.

Mike Bailey
Director of Engineering
TTM Technologies
2630 S. Harbor Blvd.