TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:11:03 +0300
Larry

Methylene chloride will not touch a well-cured epoxy resin, at least in
a reasonable time. If you remember, one of the standard cure tests for
solder resist is to rub it in one place with an MC-wetted white cloth
for a minute and see whether any colour has been transferred. If so, the
cure is not complete.

It is obtainable in most countries, though. In the USA, where the annual
consumption is about 400,000,000 lbs (180,000 tonnes), OSHA have
recently reduced its TWA PEL to 25 ppm and it does require reporting of
emissions under the TRI. It is certainly not the most benign solvent,
but it is probably not nearly as bad as it is painted. Some of its
substitutes, such as nPB (not suitable for paint stripping, BTW), are
probably far more dangerous, but are not regulated (yet!).

Brian

PS Please, Larry, do not use a bold font for your messages. The
easiest-to-read fonts are the plain text non-HTML types that your e-mail
client offers.