TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:58:24 -0500
Julien,

I would not conclude that your problem is not related to moisture
sensitivity just because you keep your parts in dry cabinets (or dry bags
for that matter).

Contrary to popular belief, the moisture diffusion process does not stop
when previously exposed components are returned to dry storage. The moisture
previously absorbed will continue to diffuse towards the center of the
package and may eventually exceed the critical level at the die interface
while the parts are in dry storage.

An excellent paper on this subject has been published by Lucent (Shook & Al.
Handling of Highly-Moisture Sensitive Components - An Analysis of
Low-Humidity Containment and Baking Schedules, ECTC 1999). A practical
example showed that a PLCC level 5 (normally 48 hours maximum floor life)
will actually exceed the critical level after only 16 hours of initial
exposure followed by 70 hours of dry storage. Of course the drier
environment will slow down the moisture diffusion process. Eventually the
moisture gradient will reverse and the part will start to dry again (back in
the safe range after roughly 250 hours of dry storage in the above example)

Unfortunately this phenomenon is quite complex and it is critical to take
into account prior exposure and the time spent in dry storage to determine
when a component can be reflowed safely. (Ref. Joint industry standard
J-STD-033, free download at www.jedec.org)

In order to verify if moisture is causing a problem you can simply bake your
components prior to reflow (48 hours at 125C, ref. Bake table 2 in
J-STD-033) and see if the problem goes away. Even if you do not have
catastrophic failures like popcorning, you should be concerned with the
internal package defects (partial cracks and delaminations) that will be
caused by reflowing or reworking components that have absorbed too much
moisture. These are insidious latent defects that can easily pass electrical
test and result in early life failures in the field.

Francois Monette
Cogiscan

--- Julien Bouchard <[log in to unmask]>