TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Brian Wada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:52:03 -0800
Brad,
Having not seen your situation  The following has worked successfully with
connectors on the backside of a double-sided surface mount assembly without
adhesive. Have you tried selective wavesolder fixtures?  You can use the
selective wave fixtures (G10 or G11) whether you solder on the frontside or
backside of the surface mount assembly. Selective wave has openings for the
wave solderable components only and has pockets for chips and such keeping
the solder joint below eutectic.
A word of caution if you do glue-reflow-and-wave.  For ceramic capacitors
thermocouple a few to assure the wave process does not thermally shock the
chips between the pre-heat and wave.
We have been successfully g-r-w assemblies for greater than 10 years.