TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
peter blokhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:58:08 -0800
Regarding Mr. Fritz's point about cascading water back
into the rinse chamber:

<<<I don't think the cascade rinse section can be
successfully run with water. Years ago, some etchers
were made with fog nozzle type rinses (very
low water flow) so that the very small volume of water
could be sent back to the alkaline etch supplier.
This was an attempt at "zero discharge to
the drain" etching. Water should NEVER be cascaded
back into the sump as that will disrupt the chloride
balance in the etchant and sludge out the etcher.>>>>

Stated another way: water cascaded back into the
etcher will dilute the contents of the sump, and
reduce the chloride concentration on a volume basis.
This is actually desireable from the standpoint of
reducing undercut, so long as you don't go too low and
sludge out.  Naturally, it depends on the amount of
water you use, which depends on the number of rinse
stages you use and the dragout rate from your etch
chamber.

Peter Blokhuis