TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:40:23 -0600
I've been through the process.  It really reduced the amount of solder skips on SOT-23 packages.  We didn't have any issues with excessive joints or solder joints that didn't meet the IPC solder joint requirement.  We put probably about 3 mils down in surface mount.  We used it more as additional mechanical strength for handling through the though-hole assembly line processes.  Watch your reflow profiles though we had a residue issue with the adhesive and the paste being liquid at the same time.  The adhesive wasn't cured completely when the solder reflow started.  We were a no-clean process also but the no clean flux embedded itself into the adhesive.  It did cause problems with a few medical customers.

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="FONT: 8pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px"> <DIV><FONT size=1>I've been through the process.&nbsp; It really reduced the amount of solder skips on SOT-23 packages.&nbsp; We didn't have any issues with excessive joints or solder joints that didn't meet the IPC solder joint requirement.&nbsp; We put probably about 3 mils down in surface mount.&nbsp; We used it more as additional mechanical strength for handling through the though-hole assembly line processes.&nbsp; Watch your reflow profiles though we had a residue issue with the adhesive and the paste being liquid at the same time.&nbsp; The adhesive wasn't cured completely when the solder reflow started.&nbsp; We were a no-clean process also but the no clean flux embedded itself into the adhesive.&nbsp; It did cause problems with a few medical customers.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=1>Kathy</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>