TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:45:36 -0600
Folks,

I've never found an adequate/inexpensive CAM viewer/editor for .brd, from
Allegro, files. I know Valor does it and I know many others have asked the
same question but to no avail. Does anyone have a CAM package capable of
viewing and running DRC's on Cadence design stuff without having to pay
through the nose, or other orifices, and without having to rely on ODB ++
output as in CAM350's case.

Also, never done electrolytic gold over nickel for SMT. Assuming it is
similar, concerning solderability minus black stuff problems, to immersion
gold in that it gets the job done good or bad. Can't understand why my
current supplier goes outside for immersion and has the same thickness
electrolytic gold capabilities in house.

First, has anyone stories to tell about electrolytic gold and its properties
pertaining to solderability? Do I have to worry about black pad? Why is 2
millionth's gold over about 200 millionth's nickel now the preferred
standard? Used to be 4 over 120, or so, was the nominal. Man/woman, that's
seems a lot of nickel with extremely littl gold over it.

Looked back at some postings, too many to count, and found Dave Hillman's
January posting to be most useful concerning thickness versus absorbtion
and rates, etc. Same holds true for electrolytic, I'm sure as we're talking
thickness, right? What about porosity versus thickness versus absorbtion
into the solder joint versus solder joint quality and reliability.

Makes me yearn for Entek again no matter the visual, cleaning, life,
storate, test, and all the other issues. Hell, It's flat and solders well
even if it gets the pogo pins abit gummed up.

Help appreciated - for us all insane folks in a diaganol world. Or, is
everyone else really in a parallel world as Jack Crawford told me. If
so, I'll park where I please. Damn, could be personal problem!

Earl Moon