TECHNET Archives

March 2001

From:
Jorge Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:27:52 -0700
Technetters,

                I need help on a v-score issue that's hitting us right now.
What's the minimum acceptable clearance area from the v-score edge to board
traces and pads?. The product we are having problems with has exposed copper
on some traces and pads that are too close to board edge and v-score edge,
this is down to 6 mils on some pads. I am trying to recommend the customer a
reduction of pads and relocation of traces to a minimum distance from board
edge. Recommendations?. This is a product where the board size cannot be
increased to solve the problem, so we're pretty much constraint to pad
reduction and relocation of vias? Any ideas on what's the minimum distance?,
is there an IPC standard for issues like this?

        Any comments would be appreciated

Jorge Rodriguez
Process Engineer
Varian Electronics Manufacturing