LEADFREE Archives

March 2001

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:03:38 +0200
Mike

I am he from the Island of Love! Thanks for the compliments. I don't
really know how we can do anything useful. My best suggestions are:
a) write to KHF and all the other members of the commission, stating
that legislation based on arbitrary non-science is totally unacceptable,
especially as there are such large negative economic and technical
issues involved.
b) write to every MEP, explaining the situation, and asking them to
postpone any parliamentary decision on the matter until such time as a
scientific risk assessment of the environmental benefits and drawbacks
has been made by an independent body of scientists.
c) write to the European Commissioners individually, explaining that the
current process of environmental regulation-making has been shown to be
flawed and asking for a revision of the procedures, so that no directive
can be passed until it has been shown scientifically that it is
beneficial or, if based on a precautionary principle, a full risk
assessment has been made, taking into account both positive and negative
effects.
d) make sure that the politicians are made aware, in particular, that
there are vested interests deeply implicated.
e) write to the national Minister(s) involved, along similar lines.

In other words, kick up such unholy stink that, at least, matters may be
delayed for more ripe reflection and that, at the best, the whole thing
gets discredited. The question is whether 1000 individual letters or a
petition with 1000 signatures would be more effective. I think I prefer
the latter approach.

The real problem is that KHF and Co. are the equivalent of the Rt. Hon.
Jim Hacker while Sir Humphrey Appleby heads the DTI and other such
organisations throughout Europe. I have little doubt that there are
technocrats who play the role of Bernard, without a clue as to what they
are doing, but in all good faith, living on the information and
disinformation they are fed by the NGOs and vested interests.
Unfortunately, the 10 or 20-man SME, which would be the hardest hit by
such measures, may even be forced into bankruptcy if it cannot meet the
technical and economic challenges. Unfortunately, 20 voters here or
there would have little clout with the politicians (except, perhaps, in
Florida), whereas the Siemens, Nokia, Alsthom, Olivetti, Marconi-GEC and
so on of this world, with large numbers of voters employed, have both
the technical and economic capability of living with such changes. The
politicians and technocrats perhaps do not even realise that about
60-70% of the production workforce in the electronics manufacturing
industry work in production units with less than 50 persons employed.

I recently was in the Far East, discussing with the Sir Humphreys and
Bernards of several countries the problems of reaching the electronics
industry within their respective countries, to ensure that environmental
and health and safety regulations were being complied with. In one
country (Philippines, to not name it), I was told there were six very
large companies (>3,000 employees), which were easy to reach; about 20
medium-sized ones (>500 employees), 80 small-medium ones (>50
employees), all of which were identified and controlled, but they
estimated there were over 1,000 small companies (<50 employees) and
probably as many again in the informal sector (1 and 2 men unregistered
affairs working spare time in a garage or shack). The latter two
categories were absolutely impossible to identify, let alone control. I
believe that this problem is not unique to developing nations but is a
reflection of developed ones, as well.

Anyway, where do we go from here? All views welcomed!

Brian