TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:32:06 +0200
Mike

I don't believe there is a Swiss company called USA. However, the French
language equivalent of Inc or Ltd is Société Anonyme, usually
abbreviated to SA or S.A. It is quite common for a company to use its
initials. For example, my company in Switzerland used to be Protonique
SA (now liquidated, so I'm not advertising), but we always referred to
it internally and unofficially as PSA, but with no legal standing. This
is totally unacceptable for external relations, as there are thousands
of PSAs, not to mention the auto maker Peugeot, in France, and the Port
of Singapore Authority. I therefore suggest that you are referring to a
similar abbreviation from a company such as Ulrich SA or Ultimate SA or
whatever. I do not believe that the Swiss Registre de commerce would
accept just USA as a company name, whether it be U SA or simply
something like an abbreviation for Ursula, Simin et André or somesuch.

Anyway, the Swiss will say that "Made in Switzerland" is worth much more
than "Made in USA", but that's another story :-)

Brian