TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:25:41 +0100
Poor Steve,
I regret you are now member of the sad BGA disaster club. Significant for us members is that we are mano depressive, shouting hurrreuka one week and taking valium the next.

Now, being a little serious, we have seen something like, but bridging occurred in the corners. In our case it seems as the cause for bridging was a slight bending of package during the soldering process, not much, but enough for placing most of the pressure on corner oriented balls, and thus too much smashing and >>>bridging. I have heard others says same thing. Now, why do they bend? According to our BGA supplier, no such bending will happen, but we experience some slight curving unless what they say. Not much..say some 200microns in the middle, but it seems to be enough for making problems.

The reason for bending must be complex, as a BGA oftenly is a complicated thing. Our package is very large, one of the largest, and has cooling plates on top. I don't want to miscredit that company by saying they have a bad design, not at all, but there seems to be one weakness: assymetri. Werner put a finger in the air and sniffed this, a trace I still believe in.

I'm not at all surprised if they bend, you have a number of different materials which have to work together from minus 40C to plus 220C, sometimes even more. You have nonlinear CTE in x and y and z directions in the laminate, influence from Tg which is oftenly only plus 125C, you have a copper balance, you have influence from vias, from possible silverepoxy-filled vias, from metal plates, from molding and from built-in tension etc.

What I say may not have a single bit to do with your actual case, but it's anyway interesting to debate a little about the creatures.

Personally, I have got mountains of good information and help from many of you in TechNet. We are not ready to say Hurray quite yet, but will do soon. BGAs are fantastic components, I really like them.

Ingemar