TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:19:43 +0200
Timothy

I have no experience of your particular conditions but I wish to chip in
with a couple of shekels worth.

1) The Ionograph will extract much more than other methods. Whether this
is significant or not under your circumstances is a moot point. You do
not cite the levels of an unexposed PCB.
2) Your chromatograph readings are just one single anion. Unless the
fire involved PVC, I would not expect much contamination increase from
chlorides. You must look at the mix of cations and anions on a before
and after basis, as well as potentially fatal-to-electronics non-ionics
(e.g. carbon, sooty or tarry gunge, etc.).
3) Your maintenance contract probably contained a clause excluding
accidental or deliberate damage of this nature. If so, I would say that
the maintainers are fully justified in, at least, requiring
indemnisation for the fire-related damage, unless you can *prove* that
the cause of the fire was related to their not maintaining the equipment
correctly.
4) No matter what, I would not consider fire damage repair qualified as
routine maintenance.
5) Your fire insurance should cover the cost of repairing the damage,
unless there was some specific exclusion.

Brian