TECHNET Archives

February 2001

Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:32:43 -0500
Doug,

Your response to Graham's question has got me thinking about some boards we
will be building soon. These boards have surface mount actives on both
sides. On a sample board I have seen, a few of the components on the bottom
side have glue dots since apparently solder surface tension alone will not
keep these particular parts on during reflow of the top side. The glue looks
like regular SMT adhesive and I am sure it was cured when the board went
into the oven for bottom side reflow. I think this is fairly common practice
when glue is required. How serious (or common) is the problem you describe
and should I be thinking of a different way of processing these boards? Do
you have a specific glue recommendation?

Thanks.

Bob

Robert Barr
Manufacturing Engineering