TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:28:41 +0200
Howard

I suspect it may have a very negative effect on reliability, depending
on individual conditions. In a former life, when my now-defunct company
(I'm now "retired") made the Microcontaminometer, we tested hundreds of
components, taken at random, just to see how the instrument performed.
The results were enough to make one's hair stand on end. OK, some were
clean, but the majority were higher than would be acceptable for a bare
board and some went up to 20 times higher. I cannot believe that these
levels of contamination cannot have some impact on reliability,
especially under "no-clean" conditions. If you look at the chapter on
contamination on components in my book, you will see a photo of a DIL
where the leads are pitted by the corrosion engendered by contamination.
Apart from this risk, who knows what happens to the flux chemistry by
residues on the components? It certainly will never be optimal and one
of two (or both) things are possible: a) the quality of soldering may
deteriorate or b) the residues may be far more dangerous. Reliability?
Never!

Incidentally, even if cleaning is carried out, there can never be a
guarantee that it will remove the residual contaminants, when you cannot
even tell what they are (e.g., modified residues from gold plating may
be insoluble in water after reacting with an acid flux activator).

What to do about it? Small or medium companies do not have enough clout
with component manufacturers to force them to supply clean components.
It is up to the Siemens, Philips, IBM and other large companies to force
the issue. However, the smallest company can periodically test
components from competitive manufacturers and force purchasing to choose
the best. This should all be part of Concurrent Engineering. Purchasing
managers should be forced to realise that the cheapest is often the most
expensive. I've often cited a case where a purchasing manager bought
some cermet trimmers at a savings of c. 5 c, but they cost manufacturing
nearly a dollar in post mounting/hand soldering, because they could not
be cleaned. Very false economy. I believe that the next issue of PC
Design mag will have an article along these lines.

Brian