TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Franklin D Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:19:12 -0600
Yehuda,

After your first reflow cycle the original solder thickness is
unimportant...

Thickness will also not be a major contributor to shelf-life...what
would affect this is the quality of the solder coating...

Most HASL processes should be able to produce acceptable solderability
up to a year after fabrication provided they are package accordingly,
and stored in an decent storage facility (average temperature/humidity).

My suggestion would be to state the quality level you expect, at
receiving, after 6 months, a year, etc, etc. Writing a requirement for
continued solderability up to and beyond 3 thermal cycles may be a bit
much, unless you're able to work well with the supplier...

My $12.00 worth ~my time is more expensive then a mere two cents
~grins~~

Franklin D Asbell