TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:07:07 -0500
Hello Jim,
According to ANSI/EIA-481-1, -2 & -3 (SMT carrier taping  requirements), the
top cover tape shall have a total peel strenth as follows:
        .1N to 1.3N (10 to 130 grams calibrated scale reading) for 12mm
through 56mm wide carrier tapes
        .1N to 1.0N for 8mm wide carrier tapes
I do remember some years ago having some problems with thermally applied
tapes (pressure applied tapes are an alternative) that exhibited the same
problem that you describe.  The supplier changed the tape and/or application
method and the problem went away.
I suggest contacting the supplier and find out what the peel strength
requirement is for your product.

Steve Sauer