TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Brad Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:08:40 -0800
Ok, just to throw my 2 cents worth on top of this to
make 4 cents....  I started running BGA's in September
of 1995 and studdied VERY hard to understand all these
issues.  I talked to Motorola and IBM extensively
about the issues. The way Motorola engineers explained
it to me was....any 3 balls dictate a plane.  So, if
you have 3 balls that are slightly larger then all the
other balls, the other balls will not be touching the
board.  Now, when those balls reduce to 2/3 of the
original size of the ball, the ones not touching the
board may never touch the board.  By putting solder
paste down you can assure that all the balls are
touching making contact is to put solder paste down.
The question is, why wouldn't you put paste down for
rework?  Would you run it on just flux in production?
Try to copy the production process for rework.
This all applies to course pitch BGA.  When you get
into micro BGA and CSP, the pitch is too small for
paste and flux is used.

Brad Kendall