TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
"Mikell, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:05:43 -0500
Hi Doug,

Hope the new job is what you hoped for.

We both know I'm no rocket scientist, or even a chemist, but I think I have
enough pieces to figure this one out, or at least get a lively discussion
going!?

Al2O3 is what I know as anodizing.  In its raw state it is very porous, 612
billion pores per square inch.
see http://www.pioneermetal.com/index2.html

The final step of anodizing is to seal all these pores, by placing it in
various solutions, or DI H2O.

Since bonding is affected by the ability of the adhesive to find sites to
adhere to, the raw part should bond better than the sealed part.  If the
part is full sealed, offering little in the way of bond sites, you have what
I call sticktion, not adhesion.  If the part fails at the bondline, leaving
two surfaces with little or no evidence of material from the mating
material, you had sticktion. If the break occurs in either the adhesive, or
the base materials, then you have a good bond.
There was a nice MIL-HDBK out for adhesive bonding. I found it using the
ASSIST online at http://www.dsp.dla.mil/.
Look for MIL-HDBK-691 Adhesive Bonding.  Its been helpful to me since my
days building B-1B bombers in the early-1980's. I'd send you a copy, but a
14 meg PDF makes some e-mail systems choke.

Hope this helps,
Steve Mikell