TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Tom Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:46:02 -0500
I don't know how much this will help you, but here goes...

AFAIK, the only members of the 186 family that are available in PGA packages
are the 80C186 and the 80C186XL, both with 68 pins. The 80C186EB is an
enhanced 80C186 with power-down, builtin serial ports and 16 I/O ports, I
believe. I've only seen it listed in 80-pin QFP, SQFP and 84-pin PLCC
packages. So, first of all I would check the number of pins on the PGA.

If the pin count is 68, then I suspect your board is for an emulator, like
the Applied Microsystems CodeTap. I have one of these in front of me at the
moment. It has a label on the part that says '80C186EA' but if you scrape
it away you find the part is actually an 68-pin 80C186XL. Right next to
this part is an ASIC, which I understand is used to make the XL act as if it
were an EA by overriding the behavior of some pins. I also understand that
this emulator can be configured to emulate the EB and EC as well. CheckMate
used to make something similiar, and still may.

Perhaps you have a similar situation. At any rate, if you don't have at
least 80 pins on the package, then it can't be an 80C186EB.

-- Tom Taylor