TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Julian Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:23:46 -0000
Dear All,

I am Julian Coates of Valor Computerized Systems. We are the people who
introduced ODB++ to the industry, and we are also supporting any and all
third-party CAD/CAM companies who want to implement the format into their
systems and maintain format-compliance on an on-going basis.

It is very difficult to say what the level of adoption of the format is by
the industry, but one phenomenon that we have seen during the last year is a
significant acceleration in adoption of the ODB++ format by other CAD/CAM
companies. During the last twelve months more than 10 additional CAD/CAM
companies embarked on implementing the format, in addition to the 5 who had
created an interface previous to that. Also, during last year, both Mentor
Graphics and Cadence implemented ODB++ as a standard output for all their
customers, delivering the CAD postprocessor free of charge to their
user-base.

We know that certain OEMs are actively using ODB++ for data exchange with
manufacturing in their day-to-day operations: Fujitsu, EMC, Intermec, 3COM,
Lucent, Maxtor, Alcatel, Cisco, Scientific Atlanta, Agilent, and Qualcomm
are some of these companies. On the side of the manufacturers, we know that
the following companies not only receive ODB++, but actively encourage their
customers to send it because of the quality, cost and time advantages:
Viasystems, Hadco/Sanmina, Tyco, Photocircuits, Coretec, Velie, CMK, Plexus,
Celestica. These are the companies that we know of, and we are often hearing
of new ones switching over to ODB++ from the previous cocktail of
Gerber/netlist/placement-list/Excellon/BOM.

I realise that the above information is largely qualitative rather than
quantitative, but we believe that it paints a realistic picture.

If anybody wants to know more about the scope of ODB++, and Valor's approach
to supporting it's implementation, I would be glad to help.

Best wishes,

Julian Coates
Vice President, Corporate Marketing
Valor Computerized Systems Ltd. (Israel)

www.valor.com