TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Trevor Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:31:02 -0500
Hi Ketan

 Most of our panelized boards are now v-scored. The first major advantage we
found was board stiffness, which is a big plus for us because of the high
density of our thin boards leaving very limited space for board supports
during screen printing and assembly. The added strength also prevents the
panels from being broken apart by material handlers and board assemblers.
 V-scoring is an advantage when it comes to the wave solder as well. With
the before mentioned added strength, there is also the bonus of getting rid
of the routed slots which prevents solder from migrating up and on top of
the board during wave soldering.
 Your pros and cons will vary depending on the panel thickness, board
density, how many boards you put in a panel and if these panels are going
through the wave.
 As for dimensioning of the v-score, I believe our board shop takes care of
it. Although I did look in to it at one time and found a good guide on the
AccuSystems Corporation web page. www.accusystemscorp.com They have what
they call the Pocket Guide to Excellent V-Scoring. It covers all of the
dimensions and gives a short summary on the different methods, advantages
and cost advantages.

Trevor Goddard,
SMT Supervisor
XLTEK