TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Lou Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:09:05 -0500
Chris, you could take the boards out of storage and apply voltage to re-form the dielectric.  Since the capacitors are rated at a higher voltage than they would see in the circuit, you might have to use some ingenuity to make sure (if you wanted to) they are being restored to equivalent to new condition.  Also, you might use higher voltage rated capacitors than you require for functionality, figuring that degradation of the dielectric, even after 10 years, would still leave you with a part of sufficient voltage rating.  Capacitor manufacturers could tell you if that approach makes sense.  Lou Hart