TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 07:04:27 -0600
We use a consultant to verify power designs and I got an interesting
question on a new design.

In selecting some connectors, the question came up "what is the comparative
tracking index # for board material (FR-4)."

Darrel,
Comparative Tracking Index is essentially a water drop test on laminates.
A drop of deionized water is placed between two energized circuits at a set
spacing and the time to grow a dendrite between the two circuits is
measured.  The longer it takes, the better, and the higher the CTI.  The
method itself can be found in the American Society for Testing of Materials
(ASTM), although I do not have the method number handy.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins