TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Charles Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:02:15 -0500
Hi Steve,

To answer your question:
> is it REALLY necessary to underfill standard pitch BGA's?

The two main reasons for underfilling area array packages (mostly flip-chip
and some CSP):
1) to extend solder joint (fatigue) reliability when you do not expect the
solder joints will meet your reliability requirements for your end-use
environment (due to CTE mismatch and harshness of environment)
2) to help withstand mechanical shock (especially for some types of CSP)

I have worked mostly in Telecom environments where the thermal cycling is
quite benign.  I have not found the need to underfill yet for 1.27mm pitch
devices - but beware of large CBGA (CTE~7ppm/'C).

So, the key questions that you have to ask yourself are:
- what is the expected solder joint (fatigue) reliability for your BGA/board
combination for your end-use environment ?
- do you expect mechanical shock to occur in service ?

Oh, and if you plan to put the product in a fighter jet or space shuttle,
vibration might be a concern ;->
Charles Elliott.