TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:03:11 -0000
The "reaction" between the silver particles in the adhesive and the
tin in the solder is accelerated by temperature so the 150C cure temp
required by the epoxy to cure it is not helpful, however with a normal
conductive the joint will fail anyway. I wouldn't like to quantify the
exact difference the cure regime makes but the orders of magnitude are
going to be a few 10s of hours off a life of 1000s.

Turning to Ag migration so far as I know this has not been an issue.
Certainly if you look at the main historic uses of Ag conductives in
electronics - die attach and component attach in thick film for
example - the essential conditions which would lead to migration
[moisture and volts] would cause the bond to fail anyway.
These historic applications are conventionally sealed or encapsulated
for device protection so the conditions don't  really arise. In an
unprotected bond you would additionally be looking at dissimilar
metals in the presence of moisture and volts and any ionics in the
adhesive or immediate environment being carried to the bondline as
well. So yes some encapsulation or coating would be beneficial in that
sense. The basic incompatibility would not be
addressed whether encapsulated or not.

It would be useful to hear from a manufacturer and/or user of solder
replacement adhesives, to get an additional perspective on this.

Mike