TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:51:58 -0000
I would avoid it.

Conventionally:
Epoxy has poor adhesion to tin and its alloys
The tin/silver interface will give an inter-reaction at the bondline
leading to electrical opens although you may retain mechanical
adhesion. One/Two years is a long time in this situation especially if
you have mechanical stress/vibration or any temperature swings in
service.
This is very well documented in the literature and you should see
something in the Technet archives.

More open mindedly:
There are some companies working on this and there are now products
which claim to have solved this problem, either by using a sort of
halfway house product (adhesive with a fusible metal filler basically)
or by special undisclosed ingredients/formulations.
Contact suppliers for the latest

Mike