TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:51:08 +0100
Guys, I begin to feel schizo,
one says this and another that, and me being slow thinker, not easy. Mark you said this: "The cause of the black pad phenomenon has been found and fixed,
 and it has nothing to do with phosphorous!" And you refer to CircuiTree's article by George M. But he pointed that phosphorous was one of mayor concerns, didn't he?: " Major factor Effects on black pad formation are The Structure of Nickel deposit, The Phosphorous Content of the Nickel deposit, The Uniformity of the Nickel and Gold Coatings and finally The Corrosion Rate of the Immersion Gold."

Another one, not Mark, but all of you: Lucent's people have led us back to the central issue, the dark, thin, brittle and elusive shadow, I mean the extremly thin layer between ordinary Ni3Sn4 and the Nickel on the lands. I have asked a lot of people about their experience of compund findings, but no respons yet. What tool do you recommend for examination the layer? EDS? FTIR? XPS? SIMS? or what? Cross sectioning with polishing seems to smear and mislead. Suppose that the BGA falls of, caused by this layer, then you must have the content of the thin layer on one or two parts, either on the BGA balls or on the board lands. If you have these parts in your hand, what would you do then to find out what the brittle P-rich layer is? In my reporting I need add who was the murderer.

Sorry for harping this matter over and over again.

Ingemar