TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Lisa Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 05:05:31 -0800
Good morning to all!  Question for those with
experience in the BGA arena .. lately, we have noticed
cold solder joints on the outermost row of balls of a
357 Motorola PBGA package.  The problem is not found
at any testing stage since the ball and reflowed paste
are making sufficient contact; it shows up later
after, what is assumed, oxidation forms.  At present,
we are suspecting 1) coplanarity issues, 2) activation
of the flux too early in the reflow soak stage, 3)
cupping ("potato chipping") of the device as it is
processed through the reflow oven.  Has anyone out
there experienced this problem?  TIF file attached for
viewing pleasure.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Lisa Anderson

Note: if file can not be viewed, send me a note.