TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:16:25 -0000
Hi there Ken.

Have you tried peelable resist to cover these pads?

What I do is have a slot put into any pads that are to be wave soldered
without components.
If your software cannot do this to a pad (and Mine cannot) what I do is
create the slot in the Gerber data.

You can create a rectangle of copper etc & make a Gerber of it.
(make it 1mm wide or the solder will jump across it!)
Then in GC-Prevue (or similar Gerber viewer) place this rectangle over the
pad so that its longest length
goes in line with the direction of flow into the wave solder machine.

Then have the layer marked as "composite".
This creates a slot in the pad.

If you have multiple pads to do, copy the rectangle onto all the pads that
need it and then create the Gerber,l not forgetting some form of
alignment markings.

Your PCB suppliers front end chaps should be able to sort the rest (once you
tell them what its for!).