TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:57:43 -0600
Steve,

In addition to everything else that has been said, and forgive me if this
has been, ..... but if you can do an aqueous clean after reflow how about
dispensing a water soluble mask  .... then just wash it off afterwards!

*As the cleaning experts all run from the room screaming incoherently......
I have yet to see a water soluble mask that is *fully* water soluble.  You
*assume* that it all goes off the board and down the drain.  In reality, it
deposits itself on other places on your board, lines the walls of your
cleaner, coats the pipes of your plumbing, etc.  Since cleaners often don't
get the maintenance they need, you have your wash section simply become a
mechanism for applying low levels of dissolved mask on your boards.  As you
might guess, I am not a fan of water soluble masks.  I'm not a fan of latex
peelable masks either.  Too much crud left on the board after you peel them
off.

Doug Pauls,
Rockwell Collins