TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Julian Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:54:00 -0000
Dear Technetters,

ODB++ outputs are in production use from the following CAD systems:

Cadence (Allegro)
Zuken (CR5000 and Visula)
Mentor (Expedition and Boardstation)
Intercept Technology (Pantheon)
Router Solutions (CAMCAD)

I would guess that this accounts for more than 30,000 CAD Layout stations
distributed around the world. Certainly the outputs from Expedition,
Allegro, Boardstation and Visula are free of charge to the customers. I
should not speak for the others.

In addition, we at Valor maintain a converter to read the PADS PowerPCB
database directly into ODB++, as part of our Enterprise 3000 DFM
verification system.

Beyond this, the following CAD companies are either already working on an
output, or are considering to do so:

Bartels
Protel
QualECAD
Xynetix

In general, the CAD companies respond to requests from their customers. If
enough customers request an ODB++ output, the CAD company usually responds
in a positive way.

Valor supports any 3rd-party EDA company in developing an ODB++ output. We
established the Open Systems Alliance for this purpose some years ago.
Membership is free to all participants. Until ODB++ becomes a standard
endorsed by a formal standards-body, Valor will continue to support
3rd-parties with implementation of ODB++ as a "de facto" standard. We
believe that the implementation-support aspect is key to successful adoption
of any format by the industry.

Best wishes,

Julian Coates
Vice President, Corporate Marketing
Valor Computerized Systems Ltd. (Israel)

www.valor.com

tel: int+44 790 171 2552