TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:09:48 -0000
Largely concur, but keep in mind if you are moving to spray fluxing to
get benefits of low solids for no clean then it is better to monitor
the flux activity directly rather than inferring it by measuring SG
and assuming that this relates directly to solids content and
therefore flux activity arising from solids. Your flux suppler will
have kits for doing this.
The reason: SG is affected by more than just dissolved solids. At high
dissolved amounts these other things probably don't matter too much.
At very low solids contents the variations in SG caused by things like
ambient temperature (cold things contract and are therefore denser
than hot things) and by water absorption (SG water is 1, alcohol is
around 0.8) are as significant as that caused by solids content.
Clearly if water does become absorbed the SG will rise although the
solids content is
actually same or reduced - error is increased if you then correct SG
with thinner of course.

Mike