DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:09:45 -0800
Still pushing the envelope Roy? It's that TOP GUN Blood coursing through
your veins... I know it!

I have not seen anyone do that, controlled depth drilling, before. Sounds
touchy at best. Might be a re-producability issue. How tightly can they
control the tolerances? Why not use blind vias... are they more expensive?
 Here's another thought... and something I have seen, bonding or just
loosely placing an etched aluminum sheet under the board.. it doesn't need
to be very thick... just enough to clear the via pads on the back
side...like .032 sheet stock.
 Also I have done a board where we left the pads off the back side, and had
them countersink the vias from the backside, to gain clearance from the
chassis and ground plane. I think we had them screen soldermask into the
countersinked holes just to make sure... anyway keep coming up with ideas...
it's a problem without an elegant solution. Good to see you're still out
there designing.

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS INC.
3030 Enterprise Court
Vista, CA 92083
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
mailto:[log in to unmask]
IPC Designers Council, San Diego Chapter
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/