DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mitch Morey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:49:52 -0800
Hi Jerry,

I've always used silkscreen markings for SMD pin 1s. In ALL the
companies I've worked it's always been that way. I've heard the opinion
of using the padshape (as Harris does) to visualize pin 1s, but I've
never seen it in practice. With tighter densities you just have to be
extra careful of moving them around in the end so they make sense to the
assembly folks, and that they don't get covered up or just plain removed
by the CAM folk (like when an indicator is over a test point pad/via).

Hope this helps.

Mitch

>      > All,
>      >
>      >         Do any of you use some kind of pin 1 indicators built
into your smd
>      pads
>      > ?
>      > For example using a pad with an extra tab or an oblong pad.
>      >         Could you please tell me why this is done at your
company and if you
>      > have had any problems
>      > with fabricators testing these designs ?
>      >
>      >         Background:
>      >         Yes, we add tabs on pin 1 pads at Harris. We have had
problems with
>      > some testing houses on fine pitch devices because the offset in
this pad can
>      > cause the test
>      > probe to not hit the pad properly. We are considering
alternatives but would
>      > like to hear what
>      > other companies think and do.
>      >
>      >
>      >         Regards,
>      >
>      >                 Jerry Schwartz, CID
>      >                 IPC Certified Interconnect Designer
>      >                 "May the Schwartz be with you"
>      >
>      > Jerry Schwartz, CID             Designer 3
>      > Harris Corporation GCSD         Voice (321)-727-5474
>      > P.O. Box 37, MS 1/9843          Fax   (321)-729-5990
>      > Melbourne, FL 32902-0037        Pager (321)-690-9797
>      > mailto:[log in to unmask]
>      > http://harris.com
>      >
>      >

following text in
>      > the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil.
>      > To set a vacation stop for delivery of DesignerCouncil send:
SET
>      DesignerCouncil
>      > NOMAIL
>      > Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources &