TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Lou Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:17:37 -0500
Thanks to Ernie, Bev, Alain, Jon for comments.  I did talk with a couple of Kester people about the rise in Cu content.  We have HASL on all boards for a good 8 months or so.  OSP may have appeared, rarely, before that, likewise for white tin.  I have a better picture of where the copper is or may be coming from.  I think we are getting it from trimmed leads on through hole parts.  Production has increased enormously over the past 2-3 months.

What I'm thinking of doing is making a regression SPC chart to allow for a rise in Cu content with time, rather than have the familiar chart with a constant center line.  Since data are a bit limited (13 points), I will try using Q statistics to make the chart.

Regarding Ernie's experience with tin, I can say that our tin chart (a standard Shewart one) showed an out of control condition a few months ago.  When I looked into it, I learned why tin is depleted and that we had not been adding it to the pot.  A few bars fixed the short term problem.  I'll change the preventive maintenance procedure to call for adding smaller amounts at more frequent intervals.  And I wonder about the tool by which these constituents and contaminants in solder are measured.  How much of the 1% drop is due to gage variability?  And how much gage variability is in the copper measurements I've seen?  Lou Hart