TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:50:52 -0500
OK.  We goofed.  Now I need to know how to fix all my problems.

We are getting ready to convert from Alpha NR205 no clean flux to Alpha
Lonco 373 aqueous clean flux in our wave solder machine.  Today my
maintenance person mixed the two chemistries together in the machine. Yea, I
shouldn't have put the new stuff anywhere near the old stuff.  Hind sight is
always 20-20.  So here is the real problem.  About 20 or 30 through hole
boards were run through the wave solder machine after the stuff was mixed
together.  My initial (unpleasant) conversation with the flux vendor
engineer suggested that there might be halides on these boards.  So we have
segregated the boards until we can test or clean them.  Cleaning the machine
should be no problem I'm told by the machine manufacturer's tech.

How do I test for or remove halides from the circuit boards?

Oh yea, these boards are hot for production naturally.

Phil Nutting
Manufacturing Engineer
Kaiser Systems, Inc.
High Voltage Power Supplies That Work(tm)
126 Sohier Road
Beverly, MA 01915
ph: 978-922-9300
fx: 978-922-8374