TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Alain Savard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:25:39 -0500
Hi Ernie,

The fact that the tin concentration is going down faster then the other
metals is NOT unusual, it's due to the fact that tin oxidises more rapidly
then most other metals in your bath. This is especially true when the bath
is idle and liquid. If you absolutely need tighter control, you would need
to blanket the area above the liquefied solder with an inert atmosphere. We
use nitrogen, it reduces dross production, and therefore disposal, and also
helps to stabilise the tin content.

As for Lou's question, well more information might be in order, what type of
finish are you running? What is your volume? high? low? Is the wave often
idle? Frankly I've never ran across this problem before, did you talk to
your Kester's rep about it? Remember YOU are the customer and they are
responsible for the support they are giving, if you see it as a problem,
they should be involved.

Alain Savard, B.Sc.
Chemical Process Analyst
CAE Electronics Ltd.