TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:26:23 -0500
Phil,
I don't have charts of heating printed circuit boards to diff temperatures,
but you might get some idea from looking at the heating charts you can get
from component suppliers who are concerned about pop-corning.  I seem to
recall seeing a chart that talked about heating at 125C, 80C(?) and a lower
temperature.

Also, as a general rule, chemists will tell you that a 4 Celsius degree rise
in temperature will accelerate a reaction by a factor of ten.  So if you
boards can dry in 24 hours at 100 C, then at 20 C they could take... well we
will be long gone.  And this does not take into consideration the effect of
temperature on the diffusion of moisture from the board or the activation
energy needed to actually get the "reaction" (water leaving the board
material after breaking van der Waals attractions) started.

Finally, you did not say whether you were concerned about surface moisture
or embedded moisture.

Personally, I would recommend heating, as high as you can, without causing
significant oxidation or other nasty things.

regards,
Bev Christian