TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Ed Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:20:37 -0500
Lou -

I've looked over some of the excellent responses you have had thus far to
your question. In my experience, I mostly agree with Jim Moffitt's response.
All other things being equal, I've taught hand soldering assemblers to start
at 550 F and work their way up from there. Most solder joints for
through-hole can adequately be made at 600 - 650 F. When you start getting
to 700 F and over you have a process problem. For example, the wrong size
tip, the wrong tip length, the wrong tip shape, the wrong wattage iron, a
board layout causing heat sinking, improperly tinned iron, wrong flux, an
uncalibrated soldering iron, an untrained assembler, etc, etc.

The tip temperature provides a good indicator for the average assembler of
whether or not they have a process problem. My rule of thumb is: if the
assembler hits 700 F or higher to solder a connection, they need technical
help to resolve the problem. I hope this helps answer your question.

Ed Valentine
Electronics Manufacturing Solutions
8612 Mourning Dove Road, Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: (919) 270-5145, Fax: (919) 847-9971
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.ems-consulting.com