TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:42:50 -0500
Lou,

I've always used 700°F as my starting point.  Yes you are correct, there are
many different working temperatures.  These are determined by the alloy of
the solder and the size of the joint being soldered.  Typically a smaller
tip and a lower temperature can be used for small joints.  For larger
joints, like ground planes, a much larger tip and higher temperature are
used and sometimes even a higher wattage iron to have enough heat to make
the solder joint quickly.  There is less damage to the board when using a
high wattage iron for a short period of time rather than a low wattage iron
for a long period of time.  Not to mention that the faster the joint is
soldered the more labor time is saved which directly improves our profits.

Not definitive, but a starting point.

Happy New Year,

Phil Nutting
Manufacturing Engineer
Kaiser Systems, Inc.
High Voltage Power Supplies That Work(tm)
126 Sohier Road
Beverly, MA 01915
ph: 978-922-9300
fx: 978-922-8374