TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:16:11 +0200
Werner

Maybe I over-reacted, but I feel we should not discourage foreign
languages. Anyway, you live in a country where Spanish is the second
language and may become the first one within a decade or so :-)

Steve's translation into French was also as hilarious as the German one
and I do agree with you that these translation services are not
adequate. You only have to look at the English of instruction sheets of
many foreign products to see that.

I also agree that English is the technical lingua franca. If it were,
for example, Serbo-Croat or even Greek, I would be very hard put to
phrase a question in it, so I would be obliged to put it into either
English or French. Even my German is roughly similar to that spoken by a
Spanish cow. I sympathise with the original poster if his English is
inadequate to write even broken English. It is not his fault and he
should not be remonstrated against. I agree that the chances of his
receiving an answer may be slim, but that should not be a reason for
slanging him.

BTW, the technical terms in French are often very different from English
and it may be the same in other Latin languages although the French go
to ridiculous extremes to preserve the "purity" of their language (it is
illegal and punishable to say you have a CD-ROM for sale, it is a
cédérom!!!!)

Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année!

Brian