TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:32:20 EST
Hi All,
I think a couple of points have been missed.
First, Steve effort with the Internet-translators shown that these programs
have trouble even with conversational language, if the translation into
German, which was rather bad, is typical. This would make translations of
technical messages essentially useless.
Second, whether we like it or not, English is the lingua franca of technical
communications; so in order to communicate, and even more if one wants
questions answered, one should do it in english, even if it is broken English
(I give workshops in German and essentially all newer technical terms used in
Germany are the English terms with no German equivalents in many cases--this
is also true in Japanese);
Third, "I am shocked at the parochialism of those crying for English-only
posts on an international forum. Are you implying that those without a good
command of written English have no right to make a posting? It may be that
anyone who can understand Spanish and can make a valid reply to Fernando wou
ld be intimidated from doing so by this arrogance. Shame on you!" While it is
true, that many Americans do not speak a foreign language and EXPECT to be
able to communicate everywhere in English, this is an overreaction when
somebody wanted to help but could not, see 2nd item (Sorry, Brian).
Merry Christmas & Happy New Jear! (in German (sorry, that's my limit):
Fröhliche Weihnachten & ein glückliches Neues Jahr!)
Werner Engelmaier