TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:01:01 -0000
Ketan

Thanks for your message. Just because you are running no-clean does NOT
automatically mean that you must clean if you are coating.

However, why are you now going to be coating? Is your existing process not
reliable, so coating is being chosen to "fix" your problem? If so - this is
NOT a good idea.

If anyone out there suggests they have a coating that will OK to apply over
your no-clean processed assemblies, do NOT believe them. The only practical
way of establishing whether your product will be reliable is to run SIR
testing on representative coupons. You might want to try Ion Chromatography,
but this will only inform you of what is present, it will not tell you if
the end product will be reliable - unless you have Brian Ellis analyse the
results?

You should take a read of the IPC-CC-830 and JSTD-001 documents before you
do anything else. You really will have to run some tests - unless the risk
is worthwhile?

Take a look at my web site for more info - www.concoat.co.uk

Regards
Graham Naisbitt