TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
"Wenger, George M (George)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:40:50 -0500
Lou,
Although Bev asked some good questions, the one question that isn't obvious
and can be missed very easily is were there any changes to your incoming
boards and I don't mean did you switch to OSP coated copper boards.  It has
been our experience that the copper concentration in a wave soldering pot is
controlled by two factors: the number of boards you wave solder and the
copper concentration in your vendors HASL machine.  When we converted many
boards from HASL surface finish to OSP coated copper we were concerned about
the increase in copper concentration in our wave soldering facilities.  What
we found out is that the copper concentration in a wave soldering facility
does not increase when OSP boards are soldered.  In fact there is a decrease
in copper concentration.  Yes it is true that copper dissolves in solder and
a copper -tin intermetallic is formed when tin and copper come in content.
However, when a copper board is wave soldered the solder wets to the copper
forming an intermetallic.  The intermetallic is necessary because it is the
"glue layer" holding the solder onto the copper.  Some copper is dissolved
into solder as the flowing solder contacts the board but it is a very small
amount because the time is small (i.e., a few.

Regards,

George
George M. Wenger DMTS
Bell Laboratories Princeton, Supply Network Solutions
Engineering Research Center FMA / AQA / RCA Lab
(609) 639-2769 (Office); 3210 (Lab); 2343 (Fax)